I originally found this recipe at Once a Month Mom and thought "Hmm, french fried onions on spaghetti??" but since well, who doesn't love french fried onions?? I decided to try it. My family absolutely LOVED it! I made up several batches to freeze, along with some other great recipes from OAMM, but this one got gone QUICK. I mean, we ate like 3 pans of it in 2 weeks! My hips can attest to this fact...
I made it again last night (the OAMC session was a few months ago, just to clarify LOL) and didn't have everything the original recipe called for, so I tweaked it a bit. Here's my version:Ingredients:
- 1 bag frozen pepper mix (green, red, yellow pepper strips)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16oz (2 blocks) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup or so milk (eyeball it as you're melting the cream cheese)
- 16 pasta (any kind, I used for one pan, rotini for another)
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce (any brand/flavor you like)
- Shredded mozzerella cheese or Italian Blend
- 1 large container of French Fried Onions
- Prepare pasta as directed on package.
- Saute vegetables in margarine.
- Add cream cheese and milk until well blended.
- Add spaghetti sauce to this and mix well.
- Combine half of spaghetti sauce and cream cheese mixture with cooked pasta.
- Divide evenly in baking dishes to suit your family size. Top with the rest of the sauce mixture, sprinkle with shredded cheese and crushed french-fried onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
BTW, I use mostly store brand stuff for this recipe: frozen peppers, spaghetti sauce, cream cheese, french fried onions...makes it a really frugal meal!
I also use whole wheat pasta & organic skim milk to make it just a *little* healthy. ;)