Reece's Peanut Butter cups are my son's favorite candy of all time, but I really hate buying them and having him eat all the junk they use in commercial candies. (Yes, he's 18, but still my baby boy!)
A friend sent me this wonderful, simple recipe this morning for homemade peanut butter squares. I tweaked the instructions a bit for cups and will use organic sugar, peanut butter, real butter and dark chocolate chips (gotta have those antioxidants!):
1 box confectioner's sugar
1 softened stick of butter
1 12 oz. jar of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Knead confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, and butter together.
- Put liners in mini-muffin cups.
- Fill mini-muffin cups 1/2 full with peanut butter mixture. Press until firmly in bottom of each cup.
- Melt bag of chocolate chips in microwave. Spoon chocolate over peanut butter mixture until just covered - or thicker for us chocoholics ;)
- Refrigerate cups until set well, then invert pan to remove.
- Set upright on a platter for serving, or arrange in a tin with wax paper between layer for gift-giving.
Be sure to keep cool to prevent melting in containers.
Yummy & a little more healthy than store-bought! :)